Everyone knows soda isn’t good for you, but that doesn’t stop you from drinking it. The ice cold cup of Coke with a side of Nachos at a movie theatre is a great combination that almost no one can resist. Along with being a great energizing bolt to get you through your afternoon slump. Whether you are a compulsive soda drinker or a twice a week soda drinker you should cut back due to weight control and health reasons.
Studies have shown that soda causes tooth decay (eew who wants yellow teeth?) and diabetes. The calories in soda comes from added sugar. There are no type of vitamins or minerals that are beneficial for the body in soda. (And NO! Orange soda isn’t healthy because it is “Orange”) The biggest risk for soda drinkers are the excess of calories they are intaking. People fail to realize that most of your calories should come from your food not your beverage. Diet soda isn’t good for you either. It may not have as much calories as regular soda, but it has no type of vitamins or minerals.
Here are some ways to get rid of your habit:
- Start cutting it off slowly. Its sad that you can actually become addicted to soda due to the sugar. Your body starts to crave sugar because you have became dependent on soda.
- Add some water to your soda
- Mix juice with Seltzer or Tonic
- Start counting your calories. This will help you track your calories. Give yourself a calorie goal a day and make sure you hit that number.
- Drink a glass of water with every meal
- Treat yourself to a glass of soda once a week
- Try giving it up for two weeks
Remember to let your body adjust to your change of diet. Be patient! Do it for your health.